Saturday, May 30, 2015

A "Prince helper".


I told Mingma about my son being an Architect, and how he will be traveling to Phortse in June to learn more about what needed to be done in rebuilding Mingma's home. 
Mingma wrote back "ok... I'll be waiting for him to make my home ...it's like God is sending a Prince helper for me. I am too glad to have brother like you..."

I got ahold of Ang Jangbu, the man who coordinated all of our Everest Base Camp services in 2013, and asked him to help clear a path for Trevor through the chaos of Kathmandu. He put together a detailed itinerary including trekking permit, transfers, and the almost impossible to get hotel room in Kathmandu and flight to Lukla. I booked Trevor's air to and from Kathmandu, and shipped a duffel full of trekking gear to him in Chicago, while Trevor expedited his Visa and applied for Aid Worker status with the Nepalese consulate. He leaves June 4. 

Mingma will meet Trevor at the airport in Lukla, then Guide him through the four day trek to Phortse. Trevor will live with Mingma's family in their makeshift shelter during his 5 day stay in their village, taking photos and video, conducting site surveys, measurements, materials sourcing and working with Mingma to determine which of several prototypes will best suit his families' needs. Along the way he will oversee the construction of an improved temporary shelter to get Mingma and his family through the monsoon season. Then he will begin the long process of getting home, finally arriving back in Chicago on June 21. 

We expect to learn a lot from Trevor's visit to Phortse, and that knowledge will be woven together with our hypothetical plans as we wait out the monsoon season (June-September). I described all of this in a recent message to Mingma. "...thank you so so much from core of my heart..." he wrote. 

Give to this project at
gofundme.com/onesherpahome

No comments:

Post a Comment